Date of Last Amendment: 27 October, 2022
QUICK GUIDE TO CONTENTS
- What are Cookies?
- How you can control or delete Cookies
- Types of Cookies used by edX
- Questions/Contact us
1. What are Cookies?
Cookies, pixel tags, and similar technologies (collectively “Cookies”) are files containing small amounts of information which are stored by your browser on any internet-enabled device – such as your computer, smart phone, or tablet – when you visit a website. Most web pages contain elements from multiple web domains so when you visit our Sites, your browser may receive Cookies from several sources.
There are many different types of Cookies. For a detailed list of Cookies used on our Sites, please refer to the section below on What types of Cookies do we use?
2. How you can control or delete Cookies
We provide you with several ways to manage Cookies:
- You can refuse to provide your consent to our collection of non-essential Cookies via the cookie banner shown on the Websites, as applicable;
- You can disable first- or third-party Cookies by use of your browser settings;
- You can use opt-out tools provided by the Digital Advertising Alliance (DAA), European Interactive Digital Advertising Alliance (EDAA), or National Advertising Initiative (NAI).
Our performance, functionality and targeting/advertising Cookies are not strictly necessary for the Sites to work but will provide you with a better browsing experience. You can delete or block these Cookies, but if you do this, you may have to manually adjust some preferences every time you visit the Sites and some features of the Sites may not work as intended. For example, you may not be able to visit certain areas of the Sites or you may not receive personalized information when you visit our Sites.
A. Control via your browser settings
Most internet browsers are initially set up to automatically accept Cookies. If you do not want our website to store Cookies on your computer or device, you can change or adjust your browser or device settings to block Cookies or to alert you when Cookies are being sent to your device.
If you use different devices to view and access our Sites (e.g. your computer, smartphone, tablet, etc.) you will need to ensure that each browser on each device is adjusted to suit your Cookie preferences.
The procedures for changing your settings and Cookies differ from browser to browser. If necessary, use the help function on your browser or click on one of the links below to go directly to the user manual for your browser.
- Disable Cookies in Internet Explorer
- Disable Cookies in Chrome
- Disable Cookies in Safari
- Disable Cookies in FireFox
- Disable Cookies in Safari IOS
- Disable Cookies in Google Android
More info. To find out more about Cookies, including how to see what Cookies have been set and how to manage and delete them, visit aboutcookies.org or allaboutcookies.org.
B. Additional Mechanisms for Exercising Choice
We, or other parties we do business with, may place or recognize unique Cookies placed on your browser or use other tracking technologies when you visit our Sites to collect information about your use of the website and your other online activities over time and across different websites and apps, and may use that information to serve interest-based advertisements to you as you browse the Internet.
To learn more about your choices for receiving interest-based advertising or to opt-out, please review the information below:
- DAA: To opt-out of such collection and use for interest-based advertising by the Digital Advertising Alliance (DAA) participating companies, please visit the DAA’s website.
- EDAA: To opt-out from the use of information about your online activities for interest-based advertising by European Interactive Digital Advertising Alliance (EDAA) member companies, please visit the EDAA’s website.
- NAI: To opt-out from the use of information about your online activities for interest-based advertising by Network Advertising Initiative (NAI) member companies, please visit the NAI’s website.
Please note that even if you opt-out, you may still receive advertisements from edX that are not customized based on Cookies or other tracking technologies.
3. Types of Cookies Used by edX
We use different types of Cookies to run our Sites. Some or all of the Cookies identified below may be stored in your browser.